Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Reading Copy



A young man, rudely naive then, was I
Struck dumb in love with London:
Neophyte, uncertain, painfully shy;
Rough-hewn, obtuse, Australian.


In publishers’ offices we laboured
Ill-paid, in sub literary endeavour,
Harbouring wishes poignant, unfulfilled,
Plotting sly our restless forever. 


In crumbling characterful houses I perched,
Penniless, rootless, weary of rented rooms,
Giddy, it may be, at enticements unmeasured:
Musicals, dramas, galleries, museums. 


Sabbath devotions then were all idleness,
(The Antiquarian Booksellers’ Fair),
Where filed such votive book-worshippers
As me: in bleak, unglamorous, Russell Square. 


But as for the aesthete’s haughty rejection
Of all but unread, pristine, mint condition,
I demurred, and fell upon unseen treasures:
A Nonesuch Donne, a paperback Borges. 


And thus I conceived there my love of England,
With like-minded book people tolerant of me
When, poor as I was, I might weigh in my hand
A first edition Voss - then and now: eternity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home